Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Entry #8: Bless my Classmates!


     I find it interesting to read my classmates blog entries because they sometimes have different understandings, ideas, and perspectives than my own. Examining my classmates blog posts is something that is beneficial to me because it enables me to gain a broader view of the topics covered in the assigned readings. 

BLESS
    There have been times where I have read others’ blogs where they have caused me to reflect and change my own opinions on topics such as phonics. For example, in Thalia’s blog entry #7, she discusses the importance of embedding phonics instruction into all content areas. I was once someone who believed that having a particular time set aside for phonics instruction was essential. However, after reading Thalia’s blog, I think it can also be beneficial to embed phonics instruction into all types of curricula. Tompkins believes “the best way to teach phonics is through a combination of explicit instruction and authentic application activities” (Tompkins, 2017, p. 157). There must be a balance in all things in terms of children’s education and this includes the way that teachers present phonics to their students (through a segmented time specifically dedicated to phonics instruction and throughout all instruction)! 
    Additionally, Thalia showed that she understood the readings (for session 9) by defining how she uses phonemic awareness in her everyday life and how she teaches phonics by sounding out words for her students.  

ADDRESS 
    I wonder what age group Thalia is thinking about when she talks about embedding phonics instruction into curriculum as a whole. I assume that she is talking about embedding phonics into grades 1-3 as students in these grades have typically established phonemic awareness and have moved on to focus on developing their phonics skills (before they are able to move onto spelling). Also, for older students who are focusing on spelling, should their spelling curriculum be embedded into the who curriculum or remain separate? 

Press
    It seems like Thalia is really caught in the middle between the two viewpoints of embedding phonics into all curricula or following a strict phonics reading program in schools. I would urge her to dive deeper into her beliefs on the topic. It seems that Thalia mentioned that she still has some confusion about the difference in phonics reading programs and embedded phonics. Perhaps it would require Tompkins to define what they mean by “reading program” for Thalia to gain a deeper understanding and propose a defined viewpoint. If I am being honest, I require more explanation from Tompkins as well. As it turns out, teaching phonics is much more complicated than we had previously thought. It seems that we are both in the process of making sense of teaching phonemic awareness, phonics, and spelling. 

Tompkins, G.E. (2017). Literacy for the 21st century: A balanced approach (7th ed.). Boston, MA: 
     Pearson

1 comment:

  1. Cassidy,
    I really appreciate the way you used Thalia's entry to spur some additional thinking regarding your own understanding of what Tompkins was discussing regarding teaching phonics. As you continue to write these types of responses, do not feel you need to use headings. As you have done with your other posts, just using paragraph breaks to allow you to fluently use writing-to-explore your own considerations in response to Thalia's ideas as well as reconsidering the readings as well. I look forward to see who of your peers' thinking will inspire you to dig deeper next.

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11 The Final Post

     I thought I knew quite a bit about literacy prior to taking LTED601. This class has enlightened me to the fact that I did not know ever...