Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Entry #2: I want to REALLY understand

    Prior to using the SQ4R reading strategy, I was not retaining much of what I was reading. I have come to the realization that my comprehension was low because I was not using the best practices to facilitate a proper understanding of the text. First, I was jumping straight into the reading before I surveyed the text for main ideas. The only information I knew before starting to read was the title of the reading. I know now that scanning over the text prior to reading can illuminate some important information. Additionally, I did pose and answer questions while reading with SQ4R. This helped me find my weaknesses and resolve my understanding. I was able to realize that I was a passive reader before using this strategy. I was rushing through readings simply to get them done. I did not realize that through doing this, I was failing myself. Since using SQ4R, I have become a more active reader. I am actively seeking to understand the complexities of the text through questioning and reflecting.  

    I was able to participate in the forum discussions because I had focused and sought understanding from the text by using the SQ4R strategy. Of course, there were still components of the text that I was unclear about, which made it easy for me to ask my peers to help clear up my confusion. My peers helped me to grasp the topics I was not able to work through myself. SQ4R walked me through asking myself questions and allowing me to target areas of the text that I struggled with. For example, after I read the linguistic domain section of the text, I was able to refer back to my initial question to see if I was able to answer it now that I had read. The first time through the reading, I was still not able to answer my question and had to reread some of the text to aide in my overall understanding. Because of this, I was able to make meaningful connections and contributions to the forum with my peers. 

    I will need to have a set of many skills to be a purposeful reader. I believe a reader with purpose is a successful reader. First, I will need to have time management skills to allow myself enough time to interact with texts in the way that I need to do to be successful. The SQ4R strategy leaves no space for rushed reading. It will take a lot of time to read, write, think, reflect, and question the text. Furthermore, I will need to have patience with myself. It is not always easy to pick up complex topics from text the first time you read about them. I predict that I may need to reread some pieces of text before fully comprehending them. Being a successful reader will take effort, energy, and concentration. I will need to hold myself accountable for being this type of reader. I know that this is not a “one and done” type of action. I consider a successful reader to be someone who puts the time and the effort into achieving their own comprehension. Being a successful reader is not something that is just achieved. It is something requires constant effort throughout an individual’s life. I will continue to work towards being a successful reader always. It is essential to be an active reader and truly comprehend the text to formulate the best discussion with my peers. I will hold myself to this standard along with my peers. Engaging in this type of reading paired with great conversation will help all of us to become the type of teachers that our students deserve. 





1 comment:

  1. Cassidy. Wow! This was a great entry. It was really fun to read and you made me think again about Muhammad's point that the intellectual pursuit is always a necessity -- even for adult readers.

    ReplyDelete

Entry #11 The Final Post

     I thought I knew quite a bit about literacy prior to taking LTED601. This class has enlightened me to the fact that I did not know ever...